Alliance for PE Pipe – Technical Sales Engineer 1
Employer: Alliance for PE Pipe www.pepipe.org
Contract: 40 hours per week Commitment: Two years minimum
Responsible To: Lead Engineer for the Alliance for PE Pipe
The Alliance for PE Pipe The Alliance for PE Pipe is a trade association composed of leaders in the PE pipe industry who are committed to the advancement of polyethylene pipe in the municipal water industry. Their goal is to help the United States and Canada realize the benefits and long-term cost-effectiveness of using PE pipe. The Alliance conducts educational events throughout the United States where HDPE experts speak to assembled group of municipal employees and consulting engineers about the features and benefits of HDPE pipe, fittings and equipment. The Alliance operates a 26’ Penske truck full of equipment and the crew travels from location to location to conduct the well-attended events. The Alliance also conducts webinars and publishes articles and items of interest to the water and wastewater industry professionals.
General Description This is a highly responsible position which requires the candidate to possess a high level of interpersonal skills and background in municipal operations. In conjunction with the Lead Engineer, this position is responsible for the performance of duties related to infrastructure project design and review, evaluation of technical specifications and details, construction, maintenance and operation of water, wastewater and reclaimed water transmission and distribution systems, assistance with project management. Candidate will interact with municipal clients to assist in developing infrastructure projects primarily through the modifications of specifications, provide specialized technical information to support design making and build long term relationships. Candidate will utilize an approved Customer Resource Management (CRM) system and other research tools to determine new potential municipal clients and facilitate communication.
- Prepares and/or provides technical documents in relation to customer needs; i.e. master specifications and project specifications.
- Works closely with Lead Engineer to review engineering plans, details and specifications
- Works closely with Lead Engineer to review, understand and provide technical assistance to potential clients for technical references such as the Alliance for PE Pipe Engineering Package, Plastics Pipe Institute Handbook on Polyethylene, AWWA M-55, other AWWA documents and ASTM standards, and supporting Technical Notes and Reports
- Process transactions within an assigned customer group or geographical area with the objective of increasing customer service and Alliance awareness
- Utilize Salesforce CRM tool in daily activities
- Act as liaison between customers, Alliance for PE Pipe staff and Alliance members
- Manage timely communication by monitoring and utilizing phone, e-mail, text or other approved tools
- Other tasks and projects will be required as they arise
Required Travel The individual may pay for minor travel expenses (food, lodging, fuel) with full reimbursement 20-40 days following invoice submittal. A passport is necessary for Canadian travel. Travel throughout the United States and Canada is expected post Covid. It is anticipated the candidate will travel to trade shows and conferences to represent the Alliance for PE Pipe. Travel will not be limited to a regional basis and will vary in location and duration throughout the year. It is anticipated the candidate will travel 40-60% of the work year post Covid.
- Ability to read, design, review and markup engineering plans, details and specifications in conjunction with a technical leader
- Must possess experience working with project specifications and have experience influencing the specification process at the municipal level
- Candidates must possess excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, computer and technical writing skills including speaking in front of audiences
- Candidate must be motivated, flexible and successful in a highly autonomous workplace environment
- Candidate must possess a portable computer and the ability to work from home with capable internet service
- Candidate should possess knowledge about the municipal water and wastewater market
- Ability to apply technical information effectively
- Ability to set priorities and meet schedules
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in performing duties
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including the ability to effectively explain technical issues to a generally non-technical audience
- Minimum two years’ experience in the direct customer selling process and techniques including closing sales is preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with high-density polyethylene (HDPE) product lines and offerings is preferred
- Be resourceful and use resources and support personnel within PE Alliance or industry that are at readily available.
- Must possess valid State issued Driver’s License
If you are interested in applying please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with Federal and State equal employment opportunity laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, non-job related disability, or any other protected group status.